OPEN CALL: ARTS AND ENCOUNTERS ACADEMY
Looking for participants for a multi-day programme in July-November 2021.
The Alliance of International Production Houses (Bündnis internationaler Produktionshäuser) created the Arts and Encounters Academy as a way of examining these practices and carrying them further. The goal of the academy is to create a forum for networking and collaborative learning for those who are already active in shaping the space between art and society – as well as for those who are interested in doing so in the future.
At the Arts and Encounters Academy, they work together to devise successful strategies and foster eye-level participation that generate encounters based on solidarity, acknowledging divergent perspectives, power relations and experiences of discrimination among the persons encountering each other. They discuss artistic projects, formats, locations and processes of encounter, while also sharing questions, experiences and knowledge. Together, they take a look at what reorganisations are already underway at theatres, museums, art schools and other cultural institutions. Which artistic practices of encounter can be exemplary? What areas require urgent changes?
The Arts and Encounters Academy is scheduled to take place on three long weekends in the summer and autumn of 2021. Each session will have its own thematic focus and be hosted by a different venue site of the Alliance of International Production Houses. Participants will be joined by a number of experts, who will contribute their knowledge and experience to the discussions. In close cooperation with employees of the participating venues, it will be possible to gain unique insights into the inner workings and tools of the independent cultural scene.
If you would like to be a part of this exchange, if you’re interested in networking and taking a closer look at these subjects, they look forward to hearing from you!
Scheduled dates (subject to Covid-19 regulations; online if necessary):
MODULE 1: 3-6 June 2021, Kampnagel, Hamburg
MODULE 2: October 2021, HAU Hebbel am Ufer, Berlin
MODULE 3: November 2021, FFT & tanzhaus nrw, Düsseldorf
The Arts and Encounters Academy comprises the following:
· 3 modules of 4 days each (over the weekend) in Hamburg, Berlin and Düsseldorf respectively.
· A multifaceted programme with an anti-discriminatory approach, combining experience reports, discussions, workshops, city walking tours, experimental encounters, visits to events, etc.
· Exchange with people drawn from different professional realms, institutions and artistic fields.
· Participation is free of charge, accommodation costs and catering will be covered.
· Unfortunately, the events are not barrier-free at all levels. But they will try our best to accommodate each and every participant. If you are selected to attend and you have a particular requirement, please contact them in advance.
· The languages of the academy will be spoken and written German and English.
· You already have initial or advanced experience (whether as a participant or facilitator) with formats that involve artistic encounters and interactions (e.g. cooperative activities with schools, community projects, meeting places, arts-based neighbourhood projects, art education initiatives, outreach processes, audience formats, cultural programmes for specific social groups) and/ or
· You have a keen interest in the intersection of arts and social participation.
· You value self-reflective, discrimination-critical work.
· Your residence and place of work is located in Germany or nearby.
· You are able to participate in all three modules (to the extent that it is possible). Your presence on-site is preferred, but not an absolute requirement. They understand that there are various reasons that might prevent you from attending physically, such as health-related or other reasons. Please inform them only if you are selected.
Access to the arts and cultural scene is not equal. For this reason, they are especially keen to invite people who are affected by various forms of discrimination to participate in the academy.
They leave it up to you to decide how exactly you wish to inform them about your motivation to take part in the academy. You can submit an application in written form (max. 1 DIN A4 page) or via other media (video or audio-based format). The number of participants is limited to 15. The selection will be made by a jury.
Send them your application via e-mail (or via WeTransfer link) to:
Application deadline: 5 April 2021
Selection of participants: mid-April 2021
For more information, please see this link.
Arts and Encounters Academy – Bündnis internationaler Produktionshäuser (Alliance of International Production Houses)
Concept and Project Management: Cornelia Hinterschuster and Yasmine Salimi
Image: Residenz im Realen by Katja Heitmann - Foto by Handke Wetzer
Google Maps will set a marketing cookie if you allow to display the map from Google Maps. For more information see our Data Privacy Statement.
Click to display the Google Map.