#1 COMMUNITY KITCHEN FOR COLLECTIVE TASTE BUDS
Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It's about honesty. It's about identity.
-- Louise Odilia Fresco
Where inequality, oppression, loneliness and precarity take over, cooking and sharing a meal brings comfort and a sense of belonging. As the food system is polluted by the capitalist demands of production, food sharing and food commons have both been brought up as possible solutions to the unsustainability of our sustenance production. They can also help mend the brokenness of urban sociability, torn apart by gentrification and wealth inequalities. The gesture of cooking together becomes a vehicle for transforming materials into ingredients, memories into tastes, movements into conviviality. Communal cooking enables us to experience a different pace of life. Food commons create communities of humans in solidarity with non-humans. They create a togetherness that respects the environment, the soil and its products, and returns ownership of socialization and nutrition into the hands of the many..
This syllabus is a list of organizations, collectives, and projects that address the possibilities of regeneration of food sharing as “tools for commoning,” for self-organizing imagination, access, care, and governance in the city of Berlin.
- FOODSHARING ( https://foodsharing.de ) is an initiative committed to fighting food waste, "rescuing" unwanted and overproduced food in private households and from small and large businesses.
- S27/ TASTE OF HOME (https://www.s27.de), in collaboration with Clan B, a group of young refugees committed to help people in need, Taste of Home looks back to find historic cooking technique, and looking ahead to a world of diversity, where one culinary highlight follows the next.
- THE BERLIN FOOD POLICY COUNCIL (ERNÄHRUNGSRAT BERLIN) (https://ernaehrungsrat-berlin.de/) for a sustainable food and agricultural policy in the region represents a broad coalition of citizens. Its goal is the active promotion of a sustainable transformation of the food system in the region.
- SLOW FOOD YOUTH BERLIN (https://www.slowfood.de/wirueberuns/slowfoodyouth) is a network of young food enthusiasts which maintains active contact with other organizations such as Fridays for Future, Nyeléni, jAbl and Meine Landwirtschaft and work together nationwide to implement political actions.
- 2000 m² (https://www.2000m2.eu/de/about/) makes soil tangible. With watering can and spade: While hoeing, sowing and harvesting, urban visitors gain practical access to the global use and distribution of arable land. Without many words, the ecological, social, economic, health and culinary dimensions of our own consumption of food and agricultural raw materials can be grasped.
- BILGISARAY (https://bilgisaray.org/) is a non-commercial neighborhood kitchen for everyone, an open space of solidarity, an upcoming stage of political awakening. It offers a neighborhood kitchen where to cook and eat together. The food and the use of the space is free of charge.
- DIE GEMEINSCHAFT (https://die-gemeinschaft.net/ueber-uns/) is a network of artisanal food producers and restaurateurs who are aware of their shared responsibility on the plate. Its aim is to unite the culinary actors of the country with a new approach to collective action.
- PRINZESSINNENGÄRTEN GARDEN CAFE AND GARDEN RESTAURANT (https://prinzessinnengarten-kollektiv.net/gartencafe/) are open daily during the garden season (April to October), weather permitting.All surpluses generated from the sale of drinks and food go directly to non-profit educational and participatory activities at Prinzessinnengarten Kollektiv Berlin.
- HDS LEBENSMITTELPUNKT (https://hausderstatistik.org/pioniere/lebensmittelpunkt-hds/ ) is an alliance around and for food - climate-friendly and social, organically grown, fairly traded, gardened, eaten and cooked together.
- OPEN KITCHEN by GSBTB (https://gsbtb.org/projects/open-kitchen/ ) is a group centred around cooking that gives newcomers, refugees and locals the opportunity to interact and break down social and cultural barriers over food and through cooking meetings.
- THE BANTABAA COMMUNITY (https://www.bantabaa.de/about-us/ ) began in 2015 as a meeting point for refugees around Görlitzer Park in Berlin Kreuzberg and is today an integration project focusing on education and jobs in the catering sector.
- THE REAL JUNK FOOD PROJECT (https://realjunkfoodberlin.wordpress.com/?fbclid=IwAR1FkCYWO) advocates for the sustainable use of resources, the reduction of waste, food security, and social justice. TRJFP brings people together and shares the joy of cooking and eating to inform everyone about the fight against food waste.
- FOOD FOR SOUL (https://www.foodforsoul.it/) is a cultural project founded by Chef Massimo Bottura and Lara Gilmore to shine light on the invisible potential of people, places and food.
- FAMOUS FOR MY DINNER PARTIES (https://www.famousformydinnerparties.com/about) celebrates, portrays, questions and discusses different aspects of the culture around eating.
- ÜBER DEN TELLERRAND (https://ueberdentellerrand.org/start-englisch/) create spaces, through cooking together, that enable encounters and exchanges at eye level and promote friendships between people with and without refugee experience.
- REFUGEES’ KITCHEN (http://refugeeskitchen.de/about ) is a mobile kitchen, developed through a collaboration between artists and refugees, that through collective work would be co-planned, co-built and co-operated.
- SARI SARI (https://www.facebook.com/sarisaricollective.berlin/?ref=page_internal) is a cooking-based performance and research platform. It creates edible contexts and rituals where everybody can meet and do something together.
- LALOVE'S KITCHEN (https://www.laloveskitchen.com/?fbclid=IwAR0HM8gn-MyFH2nt7rkt9gkFK6ZUdOYzamr7OCxIj5YPk1NHHPeJjfXa58k) is a place for discovery and exchange; a place of encounter you can be part of in Berlin-Schillerkiez.
The AWC SYLLABUS is a monthly format that gathers and organizes useful information to encourage learning/experiencing new ways to be and behave.